I’ve been hearing a lot of talk about the origin of the COVID-19 pandemic. You may have heard some of this same talk.
There are all sorts of theories, assumptions, and even so-called facts floating around. “This country started the virus for this reason” and “This underground secret organization started the virus for this reason.” Listening to all these theories makes my head spin.
Some of these theories may very well be true but my point is this, we are in the middle of a battle and a major part of winning any battle is knowing who your enemy is.
Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
God’s word is clear. Our enemy is Satan and in this battle, his weapon is the Coronavirus. What is his strategy?
John 10:10a The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy.
1 Peter 5:8b Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
It may look as though our enemy has the upper hand right now but things are happening behind the scenes that we don’t always see in the news or scrolling through Social Media.
Throughout the Bible, we see time and again how God takes what our enemy means for evil and uses it for good. We see it in the life of Joseph, David, Ruth, Esther, the Apostles, and most importantly in the life and death of Jesus.
Satan thought he had finally beat God at the cross of Christ but it turned out to be God’s biggest victory of all time for all mankind.
Hebrews 2:14-15 Since the children have flesh and blood, he [Jesus] too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death–that is, the devil–and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.
How is God using what Satan intends for evil for good in the Corona battle?
- We’re talking about God.
- We’re talking to God.
- We’re reading our Bibles.
- We’re crying out to God for help.
- We’re running to God for salvation.
- We’re putting our differing political views aside to help one another.
- We’re spending time with people we live with, getting to know them better.
- We’re reaching out to those we have been out of touch with, checking on them.
- We’re using Social Media as a tool to encourage instead of tear down.
- We’re more unified and less divided.
- We’re more appreciative of things and people we miss due to social distancing.
Just like our enemy Satan has a strategy in this battle, God gives us a battle strategy.
Ephesians 6:14-18 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for the Lord’s people.
God tells us who our enemy is, He assures us He is working things out for good, He’s with us, He’s fighting for us [Romans 8:28, Joshua 1:9, Deuteronomy 3:22], and He provides us with the proper gear needed to fight and win every battle.
So, instead of pointing fingers at this government, this country, this scientist, or that organization which leads to more division, which is also a strategy of our enemy, let’s instead join together in unity to fight our true enemy, Satan.
Let’s heed the recommendations of scientists, doctors, and government officials on how to keep from catching and spreading the Coronavirus.
Let’s put on our battle gear and use it!
- The helmet of salvation to protect our minds against negative thoughts that lead to fear, worry, anxiety, and panic.
- The breastplate of righteousness to protect our hearts from discouragement.
- Wrap ourselves tightly in the belt of truth, Jesus, who is the way, the truth, and the life.
- Put on our shoes of the good news of God’s peace and share it with others.
- Keep our shield of faith in God as our helper, provider, and healer held high and steady, quenching the fiery darts of fear and worry.
- Keep the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, in our hearts, minds, and mouths.
- Pray about everything all the time and for everyone.
- Stay alert, stay vigilant!
1 Corinthians 15:57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
I hope and pray this blog has encouraged you to fight the good fight of faith. If you would like to offer more words of encouragement to others please comment below. God bless you and I’m praying for you.
Dear God, I know I am a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness. I believe Jesus Christ is Your Son. I believe that He died for my sin and that You raised Him to life. I want to trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord, from this day forward. Guide my life and help me to do Your will through the power of Your Holy Spirit. I pray this in the name of Jesus. Amen.